Who the Heck am I

Welcome to my blog, I ran out of storage space on my last blog so instead of purchasing more space I decided to start another.

Photographing is one of my biggest passions in life. I've been a photographer for 20+ years. Although I have sold some of my work I consider myself an advance amateur. Which means I'm pretty good at pretending to know what I am doing. I arrived from Massachusetts to Northern Kentucky September 16, 2001. I hated it, for months I complained about living here, besides all the redneck jokes I would get there was nothing about Northern Kentucky I enjoyed, when I got over myself I dusted off my camera and headed for the hills, literally, I never fully understood what a beautiful place this is until I was given my first digital camera as a Christmas gift. In all honesty you couldn't get me to move out of this state.

Living so near to Cincinnati (I live right across the river) no other city can offer me more. Art museums, Cincinnati Zoo, symphony, theatre, aquarium, amusement park, Dozens of parks, one of the largest and most amazing firework display in the country and so much more. If you are from the area you know what I am talking about, if you're not, believe me when I say In and Around Northern Kentucky is worth the visit.

I know you will want to check out my other blog, I have shot photographs at the Behringer-Crawford Museum, Cincinnati Museum Center, Cincinnati Zoo, Creation Museum, Eden Park, Findlay Market, Fountain, Square, Krohn Conservatory, Rabbit Hash, KY, Railway Museum, Smale Park, Spring Grove Cemetery and much more. Just click on the link below.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Paddlefest 2012

 I can't believe that I didn't attend this year, I will not miss this event again. The link below was done by one of the members of my camera club. He did such a fantastic job, it is certainly worth a watch on YouTube. Total photographs shot.....10,000.

Click on link-------->Time Lapse Video Paddlefest 2012

 Here is the back story.

  • used the D5000 body with 18-55mm for the on water segments and D7000 with 24-70 mm for on land.
  • shot 1 image/sec shot rate and set the quality to fine jpg to avoid having massive storage needs. The amount of space used was 60 GB - not including the rendered movies segments, which are large but can be erased when space is needed.
  • used Picasa 3 (Ver 3.9.0) to create the time lapse (it's free from Google)
  • also used Picasa to pp the images en masse. A typical time lapse segment is 300 - 1000 images for each setup. If the first image needed tuning I processed it using Picasa's decent tuning capabilities and then copied and pasted all effects to the other photos (like in LR but much faster).
  • shot 17 segments, land based on tripod; water based on a Kayalu brand camera mount suction cupped to the deck (with safety lanyard).
  • in Picasa 3 you highlight the images to include and then create a movie, in this case as a time lapse. It then allows you the option to choose the rate from 6 frames/sec up to 30 frames/sec having a linear impact on how long your video lasts. I chose to use between 14-20 frames per second (20/sec if focused in the distance like on the water, 14/sec if zoomed in on a subject like the closeup of the band)
  • decided to use 15 of the 17 time lapse segments to reduce overall length, and imported the Picasa generated TL segments into Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Ver. 14
  • then shortened some segments that were too long (probably should have left more on the cutting room floor), added stills for effect so you could enjoy some of the paddlers, and finally added music (with permission)
  • in Pinnacle I increased the video frame size 20% to fill the width of a wide frame since the Nikon images were not full width
  • finally added opening titles, subject title overlays, credits, etc.
  • rendered the final movie in 720p and uploaded to YouTube


It took about 30 hours to produce, but it's not work when it's fun - hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment