Who the Heck am I

Welcome to my blog, I ran out of storage space on my last blog so instead of purchasing more space I decided to start another.

Photographing is one of my biggest passions in life. I've been a photographer for 20+ years. Although I have sold some of my work I consider myself an advance amateur. Which means I'm pretty good at pretending to know what I am doing. I arrived from Massachusetts to Northern Kentucky September 16, 2001. I hated it, for months I complained about living here, besides all the redneck jokes I would get there was nothing about Northern Kentucky I enjoyed, when I got over myself I dusted off my camera and headed for the hills, literally, I never fully understood what a beautiful place this is until I was given my first digital camera as a Christmas gift. In all honesty you couldn't get me to move out of this state.

Living so near to Cincinnati (I live right across the river) no other city can offer me more. Art museums, Cincinnati Zoo, symphony, theatre, aquarium, amusement park, Dozens of parks, one of the largest and most amazing firework display in the country and so much more. If you are from the area you know what I am talking about, if you're not, believe me when I say In and Around Northern Kentucky is worth the visit.

I know you will want to check out my other blog, I have shot photographs at the Behringer-Crawford Museum, Cincinnati Museum Center, Cincinnati Zoo, Creation Museum, Eden Park, Findlay Market, Fountain, Square, Krohn Conservatory, Rabbit Hash, KY, Railway Museum, Smale Park, Spring Grove Cemetery and much more. Just click on the link below.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Wiedemann Mansion, Newport, Kentucky

There is so much about Northern Kentucky that I still haven't seen. Yesterday after my failed attempt at photographing birds in flight I traveled over the 4th Street bridge and made my way to Newport. On top of a hill that I have never ventured to I came across the mansion below. Wiedemann Mansion. After looking up on the internet I discovered this bit of history that I found interesting, thought I would pass it along.

 Copied and pasted from website.

The Mansion was built in 1894 by Charles Wiedemann, heir to the George Wiedemann Brewery.   Cincinnati’s noted architect Samuel Hannaford (Music Hall, City Hall, Cincinnatian Hotel, Wiedemann Brewery) was commissioned to design the chateauesque style mansion and James Griffith & Sons were selected as the builders. 

The grounds formerly spanned over twelve acres and included a large carriage house, greenhouse, swimming pool, formal rose gardens with statuaries, fountains, and vineyards.  There are 17 rooms,  7 full bathrooms, 2 half baths, and a custom designed Rookwood mantel depicting a Bavarian castle.
The front entry hall, staircase, and reception room are oak but the parlor, study and dinning room are each detailed in different woods including cherry and mahogany. 
 
The home remained in the Wiedemann Family until 1951 when the Diocese of Covington acquired the property as a residence for Bishop William Mulloy.  Eventually the Diocese parceled off several acres for the development of Newport Central Catholic High School.

In 1981, Dr. Tom Powell, a dentist and entertainer, acquired the now seven-acre estate and resided in the home until 2004.  He also used the home to house his production studios and advertising business.  Dr. Powell sold the Carriage House and three additional acres that was developed into stately single-family homes.

In January of 2005 the current owners began an extensive 18-month restoration of the Mansion.  All electrical and plumbing mechanics were replaced, an elevator was installed and central air conditioning was introduced to the home for the first time.

Exterior work included the extensive restoration of all three porches, installation of copper box gutters and downspouts and a new poured cement driveway.
During the initial demolition, several original stencils were uncovered and have been replicated throughout the home.

A hand-painted antique tin ceiling is featured in the kitchen and butler pantry and hand painted ornamental ceiling medallions have been added throughout the house.
The owners currently reside on the third floor loft-style suite using space formerly occupied by the ballroom, billiards room, guest bedrooms, and servant quarters.   



Just to add as I circled around the mansion I came across this wrought iron table and chair set. I would love to find this somewhere, the chair is amazing. It just has that renaissance feeling to it. 


And the views are mind-blowing


1 comment: